Centres are open from 7am - 3/4pm
Open for donations 8am - 4pm on Mon-Wed & Fri.
From Birth - 6 years old
Please sms or email us as we have very bad cell phone reception in the areas we work.
Long term, sustainable help for pre-schools in very poor areas - NPO93139
Help us build more runways!
Flying Children offers various ways to invest in ECD and the country’s future:
- Training bursaries: R12 000 for a year’s enrollment for an ECD teacher. Give someone the gift of skills, including both classroom work and on-site mentoring.
- Organisational donations: Flying Children needs to fund its core activities, pay staff, rent, materials etc etc. Platinum donors support with R200 000 and up; Gold donors support with R50 000 to R200 000; Silver donors with R10 000 to R50 000. But any amounts are welcome, no matter how big or small!
- Donations in kind: We are glad to receive suitable toys and other items for use in our schools.
Section 18A certificates available – donations earn BBBEE credits
Thanks for supporting us. We can’t do our work without giving people like you!
We have a lot of wishes!
1. Pre-school toys, books, furniture and learning materials.
2. Jungle gyms and other outdoor equipment.
3. Container classrooms. (Big ask!)
4. Healthy food (especially protein) for some of our schools that are struggling since lockdown. (Some children can’t pay fees but teachers take them anyway if they come from families made really poor by Covid19.
5. Sleeping mats.
6. Old carpets for outdoors. The dust in winter gets really bad!
7. Powder paint, powder glue, oil pastels, tri-grip coloured pencils, scissors and paintbrushes.
What we do:
Flying Children works with women who run home-based childcare centres in informal settlements and RDP areas in the West Rand, Johannesburg.
We improve the quality of care in these centres through an intense 3-year teacher training programme using our purpose-designed materials. This is backed up by weekly mentoring in the centres where they work. Finally, we upgrade the centres with basic equipment and toys to ensure health, safety and educational standards are met.
Our current beneficiaries are:
- 27 ECD centres in Tshepisong, Slovoville, Carletonville, Swaneville, Ruimsig, Dobsonville, Protea Glen, Leratong Village, Matholesville and Mapetla
- 57 teachers per year
- Over 1000 children
ECD gives the highest returns
Studies have shown that quality ECD has a major impact on the educational performance and economic chances of children from poor backgrounds, while also helping prevent them from resorting to crime.
Our social conditions make it vital for us to pay attention to our under 7’s. This is where we can, at a comparatively small cost (but with considerable effort and commitment by teachers), address the educational backlogs that cement inequality.
Money spent on improving ECD goes much further than that spent later in the educational system. It provides excellent returns on investment in the future, as good ECD is the foundation for future educational success.
Our unique approach
Pre-school children in disadvantaged areas get access to safe, stimulating care, giving them the basis to succeed at “big school”;
Our holistic approach works with teachers, children as well as parents and the community as a whole;
Training is supported by intense hands-on mentoring on site;
Centres we work with become sought-after service providers in their communities, creating jobs in ECD.
Please abide by our review guidelines to prevent abuse in a public forum.
Provide us with valid contact information (including a contact number). If we cannot verify your details we can prevent publication of your rating/review.
Your personal details will not be displayed.
"The content of this page in so far as the marketing of goods/services is concerned, is the property of the company itself and Jozikids cannot be held responsible for the accuracy, validity or legality of the content therefore."