The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa / Pretoria Zoo
Visit our web site
||Mon to Sun: 8am-5.30pm
Open ALL PUBLIC HOLIDAYS throughout the year
||Call for details of other costs.
The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa is the largest zoo in the country. The 85-hectare Zoo in Pretoria houses 3117 specimens of 209 mammal species, 1358 specimens of 202 bird species, 3871 specimens of 190 fish species, 388 specimens of 4 invertebrate species, 309 specimens of 93 reptile species, and 44 specimens of 7 amphibian species. These figures comprise the animals housed at the Zoo in Pretoria as well as at the two biodiversity conservation centres in Lichtenburg, in the North West Province and Mokopane, in the Limpopo Province and the satellite zoo and animal park at the Emerald Animal World complex in Vanderbijlpark.
National Zoological gardens of South Africa
* was established in 1899.
* is rated as one of the top zoos in the world.
* focuses on conservation, education, research and recreation.
* is the largest zoo in South Africa and covers an area of about 80 ha.
* total length of the walkways in the National Zoo is about 6 km.
* has game breeding centres at Mokopane and Lichtenburg, and manages the Emerald Animal World in Vanderbijlpark.
* has the biggest inland seawater tank in South Africa.
* has the third largest collection of exotic trees in South Africa.
An Aquarium and Reptile Park also form part of the Zoo facility in Pretoria. The Aquarium is the largest inland marine aquarium in the country and the third largest collection of exotic trees can be found at the Zoo.
* Aquarium tours - explore the fascinating world of underwater life
* Camping tours - an exciting opportunity for families and groups to sleep over in the Zoo.
* Night tours - explore the fascinating world of our nocturnal animals.
* Tours for organised groups - several tours available such as the BIG 5 Wildlife Tour.
* Educational holiday programs - linked to the curriculum and designed according to OBE principles
* ZooMobile - a vehicle equipped with a bewildering variety of artifacts and biofacts.
* Venues - interesting menus to choose from, where the public can book for any function
* Golf carts & kids pushcarts for rent
* Cable way, tractor train ride & zoovenir shop
* Opportunity to adopt an animal for a year
Fun run: take a walk on the wild side
The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa’s monthly 5km Fun Walk hosted by the Friends of the Zoo society starts at 6.30am every 3rd Sun of the Month. Gates of the Zoo open for participants at 6am.
For your convenience
The Pretoria Zoo has a licensed restaurant that serves delicious take-away meals. Four kiosks also cater for snacks. Golf carts and children's fun pushcarts are also available for hire. The Zoo also operates a cableway that offers a seven-minute ride to the mountain-top. This is a must! A children's play-park is also available for the youngsters.
Please say you saw this on Jozikids.
"The content of this page in so far as the marketing of goods/services is concerned, is the property of the company itself and Jozikids cannot be held responsible for the accuracy, validity or legality of the content therefore."