This is playdough recipe was given to me many years ago by a Montessori school teacher and it works fabulously. If stored in an air tight container or in a plastic bag in the fridge it can last up to 3 months. Its also a great activity your kids can get involved in. I started making it when my kids were about 2yrs old and still make it now and then for my 13 yr old!
1 cup salt
2 cups flour
4 tsps cream of tartar
2 tbl oil
2 cups water
- Mix all the above ingredients together to form a smooth paste in a big pot on the stove.
- Heat the mixture slowly in the pot on medium heat.
- Stir constantly ( essential)
- It becomes a very sticky heavy mixture.
- As the mixture thickens it starts to separate a little from the sides of the pot.
- Once thick, allow to cool. add a bit of flour and knead to a smooth dough.
- You can keep adding flour to counteract the stickiness until it is smooth and easy to work with.
The finished product is glorious to touch and play with. You’ll find it hard to resist!
Note: If you enjoyed this article, and would like to stay updated with more, you can: