What is autism or ASD?
- ASD is a developmental disability and people with ASD may communicate, interact, behave, and learn in ways that are different from most other people.
- The learning, thinking, and problem-solving abilities of people with ASD can range from gifted to severely impaired.
- Some people with ASD need high support (a lot of help and intensive intervention) while others need low support (less help and less intensive intervention).
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) are chararacterized, in varying degrees, by
- difficulties in social interaction,
- verbal and nonverbal communication,
- repetitive behaviours and
- differences in sensory perception.
NPO - Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) support & awareness
Autism South Africa (A;SA) aspires to achieving a society in which persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) enjoy all the rights and opportunities to meet their needs and fulfill their potentials, throughout their lives, as loved and valued members of their families and communities.
A;SA strives to:
- celebrate and champion the diversity and creativity of persons with ASD;
- partner with and be relevant to persons with ASD and their families and communities;
- identify and address the differing and changing needs of babies, children, adolescents and adults with ASD;
- promote the rights and advance the interests of all those within the autism community;
- lead ASD awareness, education, therapy and advocacy throughout South Africa; and
- draw on and contribute to national and international experience and expertise in the field of ASD, while retaining a regional and local focus on challenges and opportunities.
How you can help
- Click here to become a member
- Donations are always welcomed