Lentils are full of protein and fiber making them a best bet for healthy eating. Here’s a soup that is ideal for those cold wintery days that serves as a meal for your family. You can leave out the sausages if you prefer it meatless but don’t leave out the balsamic vinegar which gives it a very special delicious flavour.
I cook this recipe in a pressure cooker which makes it quick and easy but if you don’t have one, use the alternative times provided.
1 large onion
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¾ cup brown lentils
4 cups chicken stock or both
445g can tomatoes, chopped, reserving liquid
1 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes or ground paprika
3 medium stalks celery, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, cored and diced
300g smoked garlic sausage or other any other sausage, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
Salt and freshly grounded black pepper to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Chop the onion. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker or pot,
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock or both, tomatoes and their liquid, brown sugar, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until lentils are soft , about 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker: cover and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds). Reduce heat to stabilize pressure an cook for 10 minutes.
- Release pressure if using pressure cooker . Add the vegetables, sausage, and salt and pepper to taste. cook for another 30-45 minutes.
- Pressure Cooker : cover and bring up to fill pressure (15 pounds). Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure if using pressuire cooker. Add vinegar to taste.
- Soup can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen.
Click here to find cooking and baking classes for kids, teens and adults in Gauteng
Note: If you enjoyed this article, and would like to stay updated with more, you can:
- Subscribe to our free weekly Jozikids newsletter for parents in Gauteng
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram