As we enjoy the last of the warm days, try this delicious salad made with some of the seasonal fresh produce. Get the kids to enjoy broccoli in plain yoghurt and sweet juicy pomegranate rubies.
This fresh and easy salad recipe is the perfect light lunch or side dish for a braai. You can easily double the quantity to feed a family of 4. Broccoli, pomegranate, pecan nuts, chives, and garlic all available from Abundance Wholesome Foods.
Portion: Serves 2
1 head of raw broccoli
¼ red onion, finely diced
⅓ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
⅓ cup raw pecan nuts, shelled
For the dressing
1 tablespoon home-made mayonnaise (optional)
¼ cup full fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon white vinegar
½ tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° degrees.
- Shell the pecan nuts and place in a baking tray. Roast the nuts for 10 – 12 mins, stirring occasionally.
- After roasting, let the nuts cool completely, then roughly chop and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Cut the florets off the head of broccoli and discard the rest.
- Mix the broccoli florets, red onion, pomegranate seeds and chives in a large bowl. Add the chopped pecans and stir.
- Finally, pour the dressing over the salad and stir until combined
- Tip: How to shell pecan nuts without a nutcracker (Parental Guidance/ Discretion)
- Place two nuts in your hand
- Close your fist and squeeze hard until one shell cracks
- Carefully peel off the remaining shell
Abundance Wholesome Foods offers an Organic Fresh Product Delivery Service. Click here for contact details if you are interested.
Click here to find cooking and baking classes for kids, teens and adults in Gauteng.
Note: If you enjoyed this article, and would like to stay updated with more, you can: