Some say you should not judge a school by the achievements of its students but by the teachers who inspired them! Because of this, we welcome this new Crawford Teacher Feature series that aims to share successes and accolades achieved by their very own teachers. These are teachers who inspire, guide and drive greatness in their children, and the reason why Crawford Schools always produce success.
Crawford Teacher Feature: EGD Teacher Achieves Distinction Average!
In this inspiring interview with Crawford Teacher, Mr Munsamy (EGD- Engineering Graphics and Design), we are reminded of the passion and dedication that drives him to achieve the best for his students as well as the calibre of educators and environment that Crawford International offers.
- If we asked your students what makes you a good teacher, what would they say?
They’d say I give them too much work! They would also say that I’m committed and dedicated to their success, that I believe in them and that my faith in their abilities inspires them to always strive for better.
- What do you think makes you a good teacher?
Understanding that I need to adapt my teaching methods to suit the abilities, and more importantly the personalities, of the students in my class. And, I aim to create a sense of community and belonging in my classroom.
- Why is EGD such as great subject?
The EGD curriculum comprises of the three facets in the Engineering World – Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering – and provides a solid grounding for students entering the fields of Architecture, Structural, Mechanical and Civil Engineering and Building and Construction.
- What advice do you have for your students?
Listen more than you speak, and lead a balanced life! Make sure you study, learn and play. Enjoy your time with family and friends. It makes for a happier, healthier and more motivated student.
- How does Crawford International nurture both students and Crawford teachers?
It starts at the entrance of the school with a robust greeting from the security guards who appear to have eagerly awaited your arrival. And it filters right down to the educators and the children. The happiness at Crawford International is infectious.
Everyone is always commended on a job well done and comforted in times of need. Crawford is a home away from home and parents are happy to entrust their children to this safe and caring environment. That’s why – through the personalized learning journey we produce some of the best results in the country.
- What achievement of your own are you most proud of?
I was employed at Crawford North Coast in 2018. In 2019 I was presented with the ADvTECH ‘Performance Award’ and in 2020 I was elected by ADvTECH and Management to participate in the ‘Trailblazer’ programme.
- What goal have you got in place right now and how are you working to achieve that goal?
To progress further in the ADvTECH space, so I’m currently studying towards a Postgraduate Diploma in Management.
- What is your proudest moment as a Crawford Teacher?
My students obtaining the highest average in EGD in 2018.
- What is your most heartfelt moment in the classroom?
When I arrived at Crawford North Coast in 2018, I thought it was going to be difficult getting the Grade 12 students to adapt to a new teacher. However, we quickly developed a rapport and by the end of the first term they were calling me ‘Dad’! Together we set out to achieve 10 distinctions out of the 16 students in that year.
- Why did you become a teacher?
I found that I was good at teaching the neighbourhood children who came to me for assistance. Studying towards a teaching diploma was a natural progression. Now I get to do what I’m good at, and get paid for it!
“There were many funny moments we shared with Sir, which led to us having the best times in his lessons. EGD was my favourite lesson to be in!’ – Gemma, 2020.
Mr Munsamy Quick Bio:
- After matriculating, he completed a diploma in Electronic Engineering and worked in industry as a Junior Engineer.
- While working, he studied towards a Teaching Diploma
- He worked for the Department of Basic Education for almost 20 years before leaving to join Crawford International North Coast – a private school.
- Mr Munsamy has also worked as an independent contractor for Rosebank College as a lecturer and as an IIE examiner, moderator and Module Developer for Autocad, Revit and Basic drawing.
- Currently, he is an EGD Educator and Curriculum Leader at Crawford International North Coast and an Online EGD Educator for the ADvTECH Schools.