Supplied by Siyabonga Mngoma who is passionate about wholesome, fresh produce and raising awareness about foods that improve one’s health. She started Abundance Wholesome Foods, selling organic fresh produce to people looking for convenient ways to make their lives healthier.
As the temperatures start to drop in Jozi, the weather calls for simple and hearty foods. This classic soup, with a twist is just what you need to get the kids consuming their veggies and the adults too. Replacing potatoes with organic sweet potatoes gives the recipe a delicious taste and a yummy texture to the soup.
While sweet potatoes are in season and in abundance, try various ways of enjoying this exceptional carb option in both sweet and savoury dishes. You can prepare them by boiling, steaming, baking, stir-frying, grilling, or cooking and mashing.
(Parboil the sweet potato before you start making the soup, then follow the method below)
1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
4 Leeks; sliced
4 medium sized Sweet Potato’s; chopped and peeled (optional)
3 cups vegetable broth
Half a teaspoon; fresh or dried Thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan on medium heat, sauté sliced leeks in oil for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the broth and the parboiled sweet potatoes, bring to the boil and then let it simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Cool the soup a bit and blend in a food processor or a normal blender, until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Re heat and garnish with thyme.
Tips: You can roast or bake the Sweet Potatoes in the oven if you have the time, instead of parboiling. Organic leeks carry lots of soil creatures, make sure to slice them up then give them a thorough wash.
Leeks, Thyme and Sweet Potato’s are available at Abundance Wholesome Foods – an organic fresh produce home delivery service.