By Heather Step, a stay at home mom to Nicholas. After enduring 5 yrs of infertility he was totally worth the wait! When she isn’t following him around she likes writing and blogging . She founded South African Mom Blogs and lives in Joburg, with her husband, little Nicky, and their two dogs.
I have fond memories of my mother making this recipe and the smell of cinnamon wafting through the air. This is a tasty way to eat pumpkin. They can be eaten warm or cold, although warm is such a treat for a cold night’s dessert. The pumpkin can be replaced with butternut and for a low carb/ Banting option you can replace flour with coconut flour and the sugar with xylitol. It also makes a yummy lunch box treat for your children.
500g pumpkin (pre-cut is easier)
1 cup flour
1 T sugar
1 t baking powder
Oil for frying
1. Steam the pumpkin, drain off as much water as you can and mash it.
2. Beat the eggs and add them.
3. Add the flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder.
4. Fry desert spoonfuls of the mixture in shallow oil.
5. They are ready to turn when you see little bubbles forming.
6. Drain on paper towels.
7. Sprinkle cinnamon over them.