By Mike Saunders, keynote presenter and consultant at TomorrowToday, a company which helps their client navigate the ‘New World of Work’. He teamed up with Tamryn Coats of Ububele Psychotherapy and Educational Centre in Johannesburg, and created a short booklet entitled “Raising Digital Citizens – Parenting in the Digital Age”. Click here to download the booklet.
While the internet has a number of dangerous aspects to it, the ones that pertain to children generally fall into two categories:
1. Children accessing forbidden content
Children can access forbidden content through internet searches, having friends share content on social networks, taking part in video and online gaming, and through instant messaging groups.
2. Stalkers and bullies accessing children
Children can be targeted by other individuals. Cyberbullying is a particularly destructive form of bullying as it follows children home
Since most teenagers have a Facebook account, this social media platform is particularly rich ground for cyberbullying where individuals try to ruin the life of the person they envy, whether by posting mean comments or embarrassing photos or by spreading rumours and lies.
GUIDELINES FOR KIDS
When using a computer or mobile device:
- Don’t talk to strangers, do not accept phone calls or respond to text or instant messages from people you do not know.
- Never meet with someone you met online without your parents.
- If someone is horrible to you or scary, tell an adult straight away.
- Understand that everything you put online will be there forever.
- Make sure that your personal information is not available to just anybody.
- If you’re hacked, change your password and check your hard drive for viruses.
- If in doubt about something, don’t wait – consult an adult about it immmediately.
SOCIAL MEDIA SLANG PARENTS NEED TO KNOW
8 Oral Sex
1337 Elite or Leet or L337
143 I love you
182 I hate you
1174 Nude Club
459 I love you
AEAP As Early As Possible
ALAP As Late As Possible
ASL Age / Sex / Location
CD9 Code 9, which means parents are around
F2F Face-to-Face, a.k.a. Face Time
GNOC Get Naked On Cam
GYPO Get Your Pants Off
HAK Hugs And Kisses
ILU I Love You
IWSN I Want Sex Now
J/O Jerking Off
KOTL Kiss On The Lips
KFY / K4Y Kiss For You
KPC Keeping Parents Clueless
LMIRL Let’s Meet In Real Life
MOOS Member Of The Opposite Sex
MOSS Member(s) Of the Same Sex
MorF Male or Female
MOS Mom Over Shoulder
MPFB My Personal F*** Buddy
NALOPKT Not A Lot Of People Know That
NIFOC Nude In Front Of the Computer
NMU Not Much, You?
P911 Parent Alert
PAL Parents Are Listening or Peace & Love
PAW Parents Are Watching
PIR Parent In Room
POS Parent Over Shoulder or Piece Of Sh**
Q2C Quick To Cum
RU/18 Are You Over 18?
RUMORF Are You Male OR Female?
RUH Are You Horny?
S2R Send To Receive
SorG Straight or Gay?
TDTM Talk Dirty To Me
WTF What The F***
WUF Where You From
WYCM Will You Call Me?
WYRN What’s Your Real Name?
Zerg To Gang up on Someone
Please note that the full digital booklet can be downloaded from the TomorrowToday website and is free to share.
Click here to find a list of related articles on zaparents.