Supplied by Nicole Sartini, fabulous mom, Jozikids helper, student, baker and so much more.
I made this for a birthday at work and wow what a success it was. The trick is that its both moist, not too sweet and totally yummie. Everyone loved the cream cheese icing. Highly recommended and it’s made without eggs for vegans like me.
1 1/2 cup pineapple juice (or milk with a couple of tbl of lemon juice)
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
pulp from 2 or 3 granadillas
1 teaspoon of finely grated orange rind
1. Mix together the first group of ingredients.
2. Add the polenta and sift in the remaining ingredients from group 2.
3. Mix briefly, but well with a wooden spoon.
4. Oil and flour a ring baking pan and pour the mixture into it.
5. Bake at 180’C for about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Icing
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
pulp from 3 granadillas
1 tub of cream cheese
1. Heat the butter and sugar together on the stove (medium heat) with a tablespoon or 2 of milk until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and remove from the heat, stirring until the cream cheese is mixed in.
3. If the icing appears too thin put it in the fridge to chill for a little while before pouring/spooning it over the cooled cake.
4. Serve with a garnish of flowers and herbs if you like.