ByTanya George, married with a 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. She left the corporate world to start Bright Young Chefs, a party venue that offers kids the opportunity to create exciting meals, by experimenting with colours, textures and flavours.
Mini Frittatas are wonderful little egg muffins, great for lunchboxes. You can get creative as they can be made with anything and everything. Here are 2 recipes you can choose from, one with meat and another one with only veggies. Take your pick and when you add it to the lunchbox don’t forget to add a loving note to give it that personal touch.
MUSHROOM AND ZUCCHINI MINI FRITTATAS
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
In a large skillet, saute the onion, zucchini and mushrooms in butter until tender; drain. Transfer to a muffin pan baking coated with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake, uncovered, at 200C for 18-22 minutes or until set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
SALAMI AND CHEESE MINI FRITTATAS
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbs origanum
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- butter or cooking spray if needed
- cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Spray a non-stick muffin pan – one that holds 6
- Roughly chop salami
- In a bowl mix salami, origanum and cheese
- In a separate bowl crack the eggs and whisk well
- Add the eggs to the mixture of salami, origanum and cheese
- Season with salt and mix well
- Using a ladle or spoon divide mixture evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake at 200C for 14 – 17 minutes or until set
Frittatas will puff up considerably and then fall when removed from oven. Allow to cool 5 – 10 minutes before removing from pan – they will start to come away from the sides of the pan as they fall making them easier to get out
Garnish with a few cherry tomatoes, serve warm or at room temperature.