I have always surrounded my kids with books and read to them as much as possible. Most of these books I find in libraries, at the homes of friends, at bookstores, school fetes, you name it, wherever they can be found. When relatives ask me what they can buy my kids as gifts, my first choice is always books.
Today it gives me huge pleasure to watch them escape into this world of the imagination, of stories. As I write this my son is lying in bed starting the third book in a fantastic series for older kids ( from11yrs) by Rick Riordan about a character called Percy Jackson set against the background of Greek Mythology. He is captivated, can’t stop and could easily read for hours. Luckily its Saturday, so the chances are good.
I want to share some of our best reads with you and invite you to do the same. Lets create a wonderful list , one we can all use to instill a love of reading in our children.
The books Marvin could not put down:
– The Lion boy trilogy by Zizou Corder ( incredible, for parents too)
– Eva Ibbotson’s books, especially The Dragonfly Pool.
– Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
-The Diary of Wimpy Kids series
– Roald Dahl kids stories
– Sally Gardner’s Magical kids series ( fabulous!)
– So Much! by Trish Cooke and Helen Oxenbury ( one of my all time favourites – written like a rap song)
– Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
– The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. ( all his books are great)
– Ezra Jack Keats : A letter to Amy or Whistle for Willie
I could go on and on but maybe this is enough to start with. I will add to this list as I remember. Please help us grow it.
Click here to find a wonderful article with loads of recommended books for children. A must read