Recipes supplied by Richard Rust , a fabulous, 5 star trained, gourmet chef. He has cooked for, amongst others, British royalty, Woolworths and written for Taste magazine. His company Gourmet Gurus caters for children’s parties; lunch boxes; private/corporate functions and dinner parties.
LOW FAT BUTTERNUT SOUP
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
2 onions, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cardamom seeds, toasted and ground
1 red chilli, finely diced
500g butternut, peeled and cubed
200ml orange juice
300ml fat free milk
500ml vegetable stock
handful fresh coriander leaves (optional)
freshly ground salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin, cardamom and chilli. Cook for 2minutes.
- Add the butternut and stir well to coat the spices evenly on the butternut.
- Add the liquid and gently simmer until the butternut is soft. If using add the coriander.
- Blend the soup until smooth; add seasoning if desired. Bring back to the boil and serve with fresh country bread.
PORK AND CHICKEN STEAMED CABBAGE PARCELS
Cooking time: 20 minutes
8 cabbage leaves
200g lean pork mince
200g chicken mince
3 small chopped onions
8 chopped spring onions
4 crushed garlic cloves
2 chopped chillies
200g cooked jasmine rice
salt and pepper to taste
30ml soy sauce
Chinese BBQ sauce to serve
- Steam cabbage leaves for 30seconds, remove hard core.
- Stir-fry pork, chicken, onions, garlic and chilli until cooked.
- Add rice and seasoning,
- Wrap mixture in the leaves and secure with a toothpick.
- Steam for 10minutes and serve sliced with the BBQ sauce.
CHICKEN STIR FRY
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
2tsp each crushed garlic and ginger
1 tsp crushed chilli
4 skinless chicken breasts, sliced
4 oyster mushrooms or handful button mushrooms, sliced
2 peppers, sliced
Small bunch spring onions, sliced
Handful mung bean sprouts
1 packet noodles, soaked and rinsed under cold water
2tbsp soy sauce
Handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a wok or fry pan.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and stir fry until browned.
- Add the vegetables and stir fry for a further 2minutes. Add the noodles, soy sauce and basil, cook for 1 minute.
- Serve in a rice bowl and eat immediately.
Recipes supplied by Gourmet Gurus. Caterers for children’s parties; lunch boxes; private/corporate functions and dinner parties.
Contact Richard (former Woolies chef) on 074 1722312 074 1722312 or firstname.lastname@example.org