This is a very quick and simple bread to make. Your kids might enjoy helping you measure and mix it as well as sprinkling designs on the top with extra seeds. I find that having my kids help is a great way to get my sometimes fussy daughter to eat healthy bread which has a great texture in comparison to store bought breads.
3/4cup oats or oat bran
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cup wholewheat or rye flour
1/4 cup linseeds (or mix with part sesame seeds)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup nuts, chopped (or more sunflower seeds)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarb
1 TBL honey or brown sugar
2 cups buttermilk
extra seeds and oats for sprinkling on top
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together well.
2. Make a well and pour the buttermilk in.
3. If using honey stir this into the buttermilk before adding to the dry ingredients and mixing well with a wooden spoon.
4. Spoon into an oiled and floured bread pan and bake at 180’C for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Allow the bread to cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.
I have added finely grated carrot, poppy seeds or herbs and spices to this basic bread recipe from time to time, as well as some molasses (a tablespoon or so) and often grind all or part of the linseeds and sesame seeds before adding them to the mix. This health bread is great with your favourite toppings from cottage cheese and avocado to peanut butter.