Delicious and very easy to make, these scones are great for lunch boxes filled with sweet or savoury fillings or a great treat for tea. My kids love them.
2 cups plain flour, sifted
½ t salt
3 ½ t baking pwd
¼ c butter
¼ c brown sugar
¾ c milk / plain or vanilla yoghurt
½ t vanilla (ground or essence)
1. Combine the dry ingredients (except the sugar) and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
2. Add the sugar and mix.
3. Add enough milk or yoghurt to hold the dough together without it becoming sticky.
4. On a floured surface knead the dough briefly and roll out to about 2 cm thick.
5. Cut into rounds or whatever other shapes your kids will enjoy making.
6. Any left over dough gets rolled into fine sausages in our house to make spirals or faces on the scones. Stick these by brushing the scones with a little milk.
7. Bake at 200’C for about 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown on top.
8. Cool for 5 minutes before splitting the scones and serving with strawberry jam and whipped cream with a dash of cinnamon.