By Abby Courtenay, RD (SA) is an associate dietitian at Nutritional Solutions.She has a special interest in all aspects of maternal, infant & child nutrition but also has extensive experience with weight loss and helping adults live a healthier life. Visit their practice’s website.
These are delicious and healthy snacks that are very easy to make and because of their high fibre content, they keep you feeling fuller for longer keeping those munchies at bay! The best part is that you can personalise the flavouring, making them the ideas treat for everyone!
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Flavourings of choice: cayenne pepper or paprika, cumin, curry powder, rosemary or thyme
(I used cayenne pepper and cumin and it was delicious!)
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- Drain the chickpeas, and rinse thoroughly.
- Lay the rinsed chickpeas onto a clean dishcloth and gently pat dry- if time allows also let them sit for an additional few minutes to air-dry.
- Pick out the chickpeas ‘skins’ that have fallen off whilst rinsing and drying but don’t stress about getting them all! If the skin is removed it allows the inner chickpea to become crispier!
- Coat in the olive oil, salt and herbs/ spices of choice.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (stopping halfway to shake the pan).
- Eat while crunchy and hot (they lose their crunchiness when they cool down but are still yummy).
- Can be eaten as a snack or can be used in a warm salad or to top a soup (instead of croutons).