The Department of Basic Education has issued the revised 2020 public school calendar. Changes include:
- 3rd Term: Aug 24th – Oct 23rd
- Holiday: Oct 26th – Oct 30th
- 4th Term : Nov 2nd – Dec 15th
- School Starts 2021: Jan 25th
Click here to download, save and print an updated 2020 School Terms Calendar for public schools (in colour or black& white)
Matric exams and results
- Aug 3: Matrics start school
- Jan 22 (2021): NSC Matric exams
- Feb 23 (2021) .Matric results issued
When Grades R-11 return to school:
- Grade 7 : Aug 11
- Grades R, 1, 2, 3, 4,6 : Aug 24
- Grades 9, 10, 11: Aug 24
- Grade 5, 8 : Aug 31
- Year 1, 2 and 3 learners at schools of skill: Aug 24
- Grades R, 1, 2, 3 & final year in schools for learners with disabilities : Aug 24
Alternative Schooling allowed
Parents can choose to school their children at home for several reasons:
- Anxiety and fear related to COVID-19, concern for family members over the age of 60 or with comorbidities
- Prefer to use online or virtual platforms for schooling
- Apply for home education and deregister their children from public schools
COVID-19 in the Classroom
Health preventative measures
- practicing social distancing
- the use of sanitisers
- wearing masks.
Parents to inform the school:
- if a learner is either self-isolated or
- under quarantine after coming into contact with an infected person or
- is displaying symptoms of COVID-19 .
Schools to inform parents
- when a learner has contracted Covid-19 through testing organised by the school
- to fetch the child from school.
- to seek medical care for the child.
Related useful articles:
- Mental health tips for kids and teens during Covid-19. Dr Sheri Fanaroff
- What to do when someone at home tests positive, Dr Daniel Israel
Note: If you enjoyed this article, and want to stay updated, subscribe to the free Jozikids newsletter for parents in Gauteng.