provided by Matthew Ballenden, dad to Isabella & owner of the Fresh Earth Food Store, an organic health store and vegetarian restaurant with a great online store. Visit their website to find out more.
Makes 2 x 23cm cakes
8g Xantham gum
15g Bicarbonate of soda
125g Mixed peel
50g Chopped almonds
500ml Sunflower oil
80g Apricot jam
2 Lemons zest large
430g Rice flour
330ml Milk stout
5 Large organic eggs
4g Mixed spice
50ml Lemon cordial
80g Flaked almonds
1. Combine fruit, almonds and oil and mix well.
2. Add the jam and rind, juice of lemon and cherries and put into a pot and lightly cook for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the spices and add to the cooled mixture.
4. Beat the eggs and the stout together and add to the mixture to form a moist but not a sloppy mixture.
5. Add the mixture to your grease proof lined baking tin.
6. Cover the cakes with foil.
7. Place the cakes tins into a water filled tray (like a double boiler).
8. Bake for 2 – 3 hours at 180°C.
9. When the cake is ready pour lemon cordial over the cake to soak.
10. Allow to cool.
Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 2 days to mature.