These Cheese & Onion scones are super delicious and because you don’t need to rollout the dough they’re super easy too. I usually shake things up by adding red pepper or corn to the onions as I fry them up. Baby spinach also works well. What I love about this recipe is that the scones can be frozen and can be whipped out the freezer in the mornings for lunchboxes (I freeze two per mini-plastic reseal-able bag).
1 1/5 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons margarine
1 cup of cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup chopped onion (a bit chunky)
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
1. Pre-heat over to 200 C (400F).
2. Grease a muffin tray.
3. Sauté the onions in some olive oil until clear.
4. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Cut margarine into blocks (or make little blobs) and add to flour
6. Using the tips of your fingers rub the margarine into the flour until the flour is quite crumbly.
7. Add HALF a cup of the grated cheese and make a well in the middle of the mixture.
8. In a separate bowl beat the egg and add the milk and onion you cooked earlier.
9. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and combine until all the ingredients are mixed together and you have a soft wet dough.
10. Spoon the dough into the muffin tray.
11. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over each scone.
12. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese has melted and crisped and a sharp knife comes out clean.