Recipes supplied by Richard Rust, a fabulous, 5 star trained, gourmet chef. He has cooked for, amongst others, British royalty, Woolworths and written for Taste magazine. His company Gourmet Gurus caters for children’s parties; lunch boxes; private/corporate functions and dinner parties.
Replace the carrot with butternut if you prefer, this soup is great for freezing so make a large batch and have some ready at a moment’s notice, if you prefer a spicier taste replace the cardamom with curry powder.
Preparation Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 45 min
Small knob of butter
2 small onion, peeled and finely diced
300gm carrots or butternut, peeled and finely diced
pinch ground cardamom
2tsp cake flour
4tbsp coconut milk
2tbsp lemon juice
4tsp vegetable stock
pinch light brown sugar
Small pinch black pepper
1tsp maizena mixed with water
• In a pan melt the butter; add onion, and butternut. Cook until onions are soft without browning.
• Add cardamom and flour, cook for 2minutes
• Slowly add some water to make a thin roux, add remaining water, coconut milk, lemon juice and stock, bring to a boil.
• Add salt, sugar and pepper.
• Whisk in maizena and cook for 30minutes or until carrots are soft.
• Stick blend until completely smooth, bring back to boil and serve