ByTanya George, married with a 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. She left the corporate world to start Bright Young Chefs, a party venue that offers kids the opportunity to create exciting meals, by experimenting with colours, textures and flavours.
Not sure how to keep the kids entertained during the upcoming holidays well here’s a fun baking activity. In keeping with my Holiday club theme “Christmas”, how about making Christmas Tree Brownies.
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180’degrees. Spray pan with non-stick baking spray
- Place butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave until 2/3 of the way melted, about 25 seconds
- Mix in sugar, stirring until butter is fully melted, then mix in egg and vanilla extract. Add flour and cocoa powder and mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until set, about 15 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoon of water to 3 tablespoons of icing sugar and mix until smooth. Optional: Add food colouring. Place mixture into a piping bag.
Decorating the Brownie
Once brownies are cooled, cut out isosceles triangles. Pipe on the royal icing by starting at the top of the tree, gently squeeze the icing out of the bag moving in a curvy zigzag as you go down the tree and decorate with M&Ms. For the tree trunk I used straws.
My kids had loads of fun creating these; hope your little one will enjoy it too… Seasons greetings Xxx
Click here to find out more about Bright Young Chef’s holiday program for the upcoming holidays.