By Abigail Courtenay, a dietician with a special interest in infant and child nutrition. A self confessed food addict, she loves to experiment and create unique meals in the kitchen using whole foods and promoting natural living.
This is a quick, satisfying, super healthy meal idea that can be eaten as an alternative to a cream based pasta. It’s creamy and crunchy and just utterly delicious!
Avo ready? Here’s the recipe!
• 2 cups cooked whole-wheat pasta
• 1 ripe avo
• 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic (you can roast this if you like)
• 1 handful fresh basil (washed)
• The juice of half a lemon
• Salt and pepper to taste
• ½ red onion (for garnish)
• Splash of canola oil/ butter
1. Cook the whole-wheat pasta in salted water until al dente.
2. Fry the red onion until caramelized, put aside for garnish.
3. Blend the avo, garlic, basil and lemon juice until a creamy paste is formed. (Tip: put the lemon in the microwave for a few seconds, this will ensure you get maximal juice when squeezed).
4. Mix the blended avo and warm whole-wheat pasta together, season to taste and garnish.
5. Serve immediately (does not reheat well as fresh avo is used). Serves 2.
Click here to find places in Gauteng offering cooking classes.