By Sholain Govender-Bateman – Pretoria-based New Media journalism lecturer, former The Star and Pretoria News journalist & editor of magazines. She is mum to two gorgeous girls, Isobel and Aishwari, and wife to Barry Bateman. Twitter @sholain
Having a child shifts your life priorities drastically and with babies comes tons of lessons, fun and immeasurable love that you could not even have come close to fathoming prior to motherhood. However, let’s all admit it without feeling guilty, there are some things we wish we hadn’t taken for granted.
Here’s my top 10 list of things I wish I had not taken for granted but I don’t mind not being able to do anymore:
1. Being able to have a long, leisurely shower/bath without worrying that the house is being painted red, with your lipstick!
2. Sitting down and eating a whole meal without having to get up once to tend to your tot.
3. Wearing dangly/hoop earrings.
4. Leaving the house with just your keys and handbag.
5. Sleeping in on a Sunday morning.
6. Going on date night without having to worry about babysitters.
7. Sharing a bottle of water and not wondering if there’s backwash in it.
8. Keeping pens/make-up/glassware where ever you felt like and not only on hard to reach shelves.
9. Watching any TV show you wanted, whenever you wanted.
10. Wearing a low cut top without fear of being exposed by a little hand tugging at it.
What’s on your list?