Send us an e-mail
||East Rand / EkurhuleniJohannesburg: Pretoria / TshwaneVaal Triangle / SedibengWest Rand
||Weekday mornings & afternoons
||R350/hr for individual
R300 for groups of 2-4
|| From 9 years - 18 years old
Maths tutor - online and in-person maths lessons
Who am I?
● I am a maths educator with a masters degree in Maths Education (Wits University). I am trained in both maths and music and this has had an influence over the way I teach and the techniques I use – e.g. creative ways of using pattern, structure, art, maths activities and investigations.
● I have extensive experience in teaching maths from grade 5 – 12 as well as 10 years working in Maths Education at Wits, with a speciality in methodology at both primary and high school level.
How I teach (grade 4 upward):
• My teaching philosophy centres on understanding and problem solving. I meet the learner where they are comfortable and help them move ahead. Confidence is a key aspect of succeeding in maths and so I work to shift students from an anxious to a curious approach.
Materials I use:
● I use a range of materials which I’ve developed over the years of teaching and other materials sourced from current research.
● Some of the materials are maths problems situated in a real life context. These are important to be able to solve but it also helps learners see that maths can be useful to them in their lives.
● I also use the regular more abstract type of questions you find in textbooks.
● If tables and other aspects need memorizing, I usually use games to help with these.
Location and times:
● I live in Melville but I am also comfortable teaching online using zoom as I spent most of 2020 teaching online.
● I am available to teach mornings and afternoons.
Who needs maths lessons?
● So many adults say that their maths problems started in primary school. It would seem then that the best time to tackle problems with maths is at primary school level. Don’t wait until the problem is too big and your child has switched off.
● Grade 8 and 9 learners need to have their best shot at learning maths before making the important decision of whether to do maths or maths literacy. I can certainly help with this.
● Finally grade 10 – 12 learners who are not enjoying maths and feel disengaged, can benefit from extra help.
Please say you saw this on Jozikids.
"The content of this page in so far as the marketing of goods/services is concerned, is the property of the company itself and Jozikids cannot be held responsible for the accuracy, validity or legality of the content therefore."