Send us an e-mail
Visit our web site
||53 Andries Street
Ruimsig West Rand
||Please contact us for available times
||From 2 years - All ages
“Connecting with a horse is a liberating process in itself, inviting us to set aside any preconceived ideas or indoctrinations that we may hold. It can stimulate and encourage us to become our authentic selves, rather than a product of this world’s ideology” – Margeret Coates
Hippotherapy & Therapeutic Riding & Horse Riding Lessons for kids, adolescents and adults
When Deciding Between Hippotherapy, Therapeutic Ridiing or Horse Riding Consider Your Child’s Specific Needs:
- Does your child require constant positioning to maintain sitting balance?
- Does your child need frequent assistance to maintain attention or alertness levels?
- Does your child have special medical needs that may require the additional knowledge and training from a licensed professional therapist?
- Does your child present with some learning difficulties?
- Does your child have sensory integration dysfunction or frequent behavioral outbursts to sensory stimulus?
- Does your child have specific fine or gross motor skills to work on?
- Does your child have a physical or cognitive disability?
- Does your child have any neurological difficulties?
- Did a physician or other professional prescribe or suggest Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy or Physical Therapy for your child?
If you answered “yes” to any of the questions above, then hippotherapy may be the most appropriate choice for your child.
What is Hippotherapy?
Hippotherapy is done by a Registered Occupational, Physical or Speech Pathologist (OT, PT, ST) who have been specially trained to use the movement of the horse to facilitate improvements in their client/patient. It does not teach the client how to ride the horse. Therapists use traditional techniques such as NDT (neurodevelopmental treatment) and SI (sensory integration) along with the movement of the horse as part of their treatment strategy. All goals are therapy directed such as improving balance, coordination, posture, fine motor control, articulation and increasing cognitive skills.
Horses are specifically selected for their temperament, size, and the type of movement they provide for the client. There is direct hands-on participation by the therapist at all times. The treating therapist continually assesses and modifies therapy based on the client’s responses. Because it is a registered scientifically based therapy, some medical aids do pay for these sessions in most other countries but we are still working on that here in South Africa.
What is Therapeutic Riding?
It is recreational horseback riding lessons adapted to individuals with disabilities. In other words it is an equine-assisted activity for the purpose of contributing positively to the cognitive, physical, emotional and social well-being of individuals with special needs. Therapeutic riding provides benefits in the areas of health, education, sport and recreation & leisure. It is not seen as a scientific therapy but rather a therapeutic activity.
Horse riding lessons
Here at HoofPrints we believe in, and also experience the benefits of exposing children to horses and the natural environment that we operate from.
Benefits for your child include:
- Self Discipline
- Self Confidence
- Self Efficacy
- Works the core muscles
- stabilizes the trunk
- experiencing the best the outdoors has to offer
Furthermore research has shown that horseback riding and connection with horses has:
- a positive effect on a child's mental health
- a positive effect on his/her intelligence (emotional and cognitive)
Horse riding is a fun filled, social and interactive activity ideal for children of all ages
Please say you saw this on Jozikids.