Send us an e-mail
Visit our web site
||14 Kaptein Street
||Various shows are individually priced
Hillbrow Theatre Project
The Hillbrow Theatre (formerly the Andre Huguenot Theatre) offers after-school performance arts programmes to children and youth who live in Hillbrow or attend schools in Hillbrow and the inner city of Johannesburg. Performance training gives children confidence and builds the skills of public speaking, voice and acting.
Play is the work of children, and through play, acting and singing, children work through issues that they have to face on a daily basis. Drama demands empathy for different personalities, cultures, religions and ways of living, and allows children to learn and practice the skills of self-discipline, communication, tolerance and mutual respect.
The Hillbrow Theatre Project facilitators run drama workshops at inner city schools with groups of learners between the ages of 12 and 19 years. Also, there are two open drama classes which are conducted in the afternoons and on Saturday mornings at the theatre.
If you want to join the project or get them to come to your school, or more info, visit the Hillbrow Theatre Project on Facebook or contact us at email@example.com
The HTP team commits to:
- Providing a safe space for the children and youth of Hillbrow and beyond to attend after school arts and culture activities;
- Providing drama, dance and playmaking skills to inner-city school learners;
- Developing a culture of appreciation for arts and culture;
- Providing learners from the inner city with a platform to showcase their performing skills and talents;
- Giving children and youth the opportunity to develop their drama, dance and playmaking skills, communication skills, self-confidence and their ability to work as part of a team:
- To unleash the imagination;
- To bring about creative thinking; and
- To enrich their lives.
- Encouraging the participants to investigate, discuss and debate about who we are, how we interact with each other and the world we live in;
- Acting in the best interests of all its participants irrespective of race, age, culture, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, class, sexual orientation, geographical location or language;
- Affirming human rights and their attendant responsibilities as outlined in the South African Constitutionís Bill of Rights;
- Strengthening democracy; and
- Acting as a conduit between different inner city schools and community-based organisations within the inner city and beyond and building bridges to further enrich the lives of children and youth who attend our project.
Our work relies on your help. Please support any project of your choice, by transferring money to the following account. If you want to donate to a specific project (Boitumelo, Computer, Theatre, Music, Youth, Counselling, Kid's week or general) remember to refer to it on the transaction form.
First National Bank
Acc No.: 62082998364
Branch No.: 250455 (Parktown)
Swift No.: FIRNZAJJ950
If you donate more than R5000 at once or within twelve month you will be invited to a charity dinner in Johannesburg.
Please say you saw this on Jozikids.