Therapy Centre, pre-School for kids with special needs
C.A.R.E, The Centre for Autism, Research and Education, is an early intervention therapy centre pre-school and Centre of Focused Learning, for children aged 18 months to 12 years who present with features of the Autistic Spectrum Disorder. A safe place where these learners come for therapy, education, love and support.
Many parents find school placement for learners on the Autistic Spectrum a daunting task. For both the pre-school years and once the pre-school years have come to an end.
c.a.r.e. is also a place that parents can come to rely on.
Because c.a.r.e. is there for you, Because c.a.r.e. cares.
CARE is officially registered with The Department of Education. We have registered in the category of Independent Special Schools. This means that we are operating under the auspices of the Department of Education. In order to qualify for this registration, CARE had to meet certain criteria in terms of curriculum. We follow an adapted version of the National Curriculum and incorporate elements of the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS) in order to ensure that our education policies are aligned to national policies. This also means that it makes for a more streamlined process when learners leave CARE and integrate into more formal schooling systems. CARE is a fully certified Independent School with the Department of Education. Registration number: 700400847.
Raising a child with special needs is no easy task and you, as a parent, need all the help you can get. A fundamental part of our approach is the support we offer the parents of the children who attend C.A.R.E. Having a full complement of heath-care professionals and teachers catering specifically for special needs children under one roof means that parents of young children and learners with special needs now have a single point of contact for all the care they may require.
A specialised adapted curriculum with strong emphasis on:
* Pre-requisite learning skills
* Intensive Speech and Language therapy
* Intensive Occupational Therapy
* Applied Behavioral Analysis - one on one intervention
* Remedial therapy
* Range of complementary therapies and activities.
Trans-disciplinary assessments and diagnostic evaluations
We offer a professional and friendly environment to assess children’s intellectual, academic, developmental and behavioural/emotional functioning, as accurate evaluation and
diagnosis of children’s difficulties and abilities are the first steps in helping them.
The C.A.R.E. programme includes:
• Occupational Therapy and Speech & Language Therapy - each child receives individual therapy sessions daily. Group therapy is offered to all children, with the number of sessions depending on the needs of the individual child.
• Classes - Small classes of 6 learners, with 3 academic staff, ensure optimal individual attention while still encouraging social skills development. English is used as the medium of instruction.
It is also our belief that optimal learning for every child is possible through the adaptation of classroom materials and teaching strategies.
• Physiotherapy - available to all enrolled children who require it.
• Parent support - Support for parents is core to our offering and includes weekly feedback and behaviour management counselling.
Extra-mural activities include:
- Swimming Lessons
- Music and drama
- Arts and crafts